Starbucks Sued by Customer Scalded by Hot Tea in 2009

Posted on October 8, 2012


ScaldedA San Antonio woman has filed a lawsuit early this month in King County Superior Court against Starbucks claiming  she suffered serious burns in August three years ago after spilling a Venti green tea which she just then bought at their drive-thru in San Antonio, Texas

Christina Sturgess, in the lawsuit filed on her behalf by her personal injury attorneys Kristin Houser and Rebecca Roe of the Seattle firm Schroeter, Goldmark & Bender, alleged that as she was pulling out of the Starbucks drive-thru and was about to go for her first sip of her green tea, the lid atop the cup came off and as a result she was scalded. Her skin blistered and she suffered multiple second degree burns. She maintained that the Starbucks barista failed to properly secure the lid. She also claim that Starbucks knew it had issues with its lids but did nothing about it. Said her attorneys to the court, “Starbucks was aware of incidents involving serious burns from its tea and coffee throughout the country and failed to take appropriate steps to remedy the danger.”

Allegedly, because of the scalding incident, Sturgess later had to undergo skin grafts and other surgeries for her injuries. Her personal injury attorneys contend that Sturgess should be compensated for her medical expenses and lost earnings, as well as her pain and suffering.

Posted in: news